HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 02:16:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
RSS Feed for Newsreaders Click here to save feed

Stats
41,659 Posts in 6,700 Topics by 47,701 Members
Latest Member: Michealma
+  Global Derivatives
|-+  Personal Development
| |-+  General / Further Education (Moderator: wendy)
| | |-+  MSc in Quantitative Finance at NUS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Topic: MSc in Quantitative Finance at NUS  (Read 5971 times)
csaurabh

« on: June 02, 2009, 04:00:02 PM »

Hi,

This seems like a new course offered by NUS which is being offered both on full time as well as a part time basis. I had applied and was offered a seat. however, i am not very sure if I should join or not. The fee is 22k SGD and the course duration is 1 yr (Full time) and 2yr (Part time).

I have to make my mind before 10th June. It would be great is someone can share their views...thanks
Sponsored

View Profile

hadwhoken
Seasoned Quant Researcher

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 09:57:34 PM »

Do you have other options?
dt

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 02:04:59 AM »

Hi everyone. May I know if anyone has taken this MSc at NUS or have any views about it?

Compared to the MFEs at NUS and NTU, the MSc in Quantitative Finance looks more focused on the mathematics, which is understandable as it is offered by the Math department.

Thanks
hongzz_zu

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 04:28:44 PM »

Hi Dt,

Are you admitted in the programme? Actually I have been admitted in this course for next academic year.
So I want to know your opinion about this course.

regards,
dt

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 12:47:14 PM »

Hi hong,

Yes, I have been admitted for the coming year.

I'm trying to find out views about this qf from current or past students too.

I have friends who have taken other math undergrad and postgrad degrees offered by the nus math department and their feedback about their courses have been generally positive. However, I don't know anyone in the Msc QF.

I've written to a professor who is teaching the modules for more information and he has been quite responsive.

Can't really comment on much more but the modules do look quite rigorous math-wise, which is what i would expect from nus math

if you have any thoughts or info, please do share.
hongzz_zu

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 01:17:50 PM »

Hi DT,

are u local?? what course are studying currently?

I`m EEE student from NTU. Actually my concern is only about job placement.
As I know Financiang Engineering from NTU and NUS have dedicated career service and this will help a lot in placing their students for employment. I heard that the undergraduate program in QF is very good and it is only for those holding cap 4.7 above. 

How the Prof you have contacted responsed about the programme??
dt

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 08:47:51 PM »

Yup. I'm local.

I have a degree and postgrad in Computer Science and Information Systems and currently working at an Ibank.

Some of my colleagues were from the undergrad program in QF, and their CAPs are pretty high. Yup.  Entry to the undergrad QF program is competitive and you need to apply to get into it after you've gotten into NUS.

I enquired about the module the prof was teaching (MA4257) and just asked for more information about it. He replied the same day which is good. He mentioned that he won't be teaching the class again the upcoming sem.

Still waiting to hear from the course coordinator regarding some administrative questions I've asked about the program.

Your concern about job placement is understandable. The cost of the Msc QF  is not cheap either!  Do you have job offers or admissions to other programs?

I'm not aware if the math dept or QF program has a dedicated career service like the biz sch or FE program. Nonetheless there is NUS Career Services. Career Services definitely help but I think a lot depends on what you make of it. It also helps to be aware of what the demand is like for the kind of role you're trying to get into and if the MSc QF will help. There are EEE grads from NTU/NUS who got offered jobs in middle and back office where I work. I was from NTU previously, and I felt their career services were alright. Quite a bit of campus recruitment activities like visits, talks and recruitment by companies. I was able to get a number of opportunities by just applying to companies who were recruiting on-campus.
hongzz_zu

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 05:12:45 AM »

Yah, you are correct.. A lot of EEE students from NTU got a job in IB however, I am a bit late in understanding about IB.
I just interested in this area after my IA which was at the end of my year 3 thus, I tried to know more about it during my final year.
As I know, it is not easy to get a job wtht previous internship and that is why I choose to study QF/FE so that I have the opportunites to apply for intern later.

No, I don`t have any job offers as I explained earlier. And I just got an offer from CASS business school, UK in MSc Mathematical Trading and Finance since I don`t have any GRE/GMAT so my choices are limitted. Why don`t you apply FE in NTU/NUS?? How do you think QF programme compared to FE??

since you are working right now so you will take part time later if you accept the MSc ?? btw, where are you working Huh Do you think that MSc can improve my chances in getting into IBs?    Grin
dt

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 07:27:10 AM »

If CASS is offering you what you want, why don't you go to CASS?

I think the experience in the UK would be good for you if you are able to go. I did my undergrad overseas and there are many benefits from living abroad that which cannot be quantified easily.

I don't think either of the MSc will hurt your chances, but I would prefer CASS if going overseas was not an issue for me. London is a major financial centre. You would be putting yourself closer to the job market there, gaining international experience. More of the actual quant stuff is done in London and New York, rather than Asia. CASS is a top UK biz sch. Not to mention, London and the UK is a great place to experience living in.  

At the end of the day, the MSc will equip you with credentials and hopefully some knowledge. Whether you can get a job will depend just as much on what you make of your opportunities to learn, network and get your foot in the door.

Yes, will be doing it part time. I applied for the MSc QF because I wanted something focused on the math and quantitative. A similar program would be the MSc in Financial Mathematics by UChicago.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 07:33:57 AM by dt » Logged
hongzz_zu

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 12:14:23 PM »

Hi dt,

Do you think that CASS is reputable in Sg?? I`m planning to work in Sg upon graduation so I think CASS is not that famous in Sg. I realize that CASS is very famous in London.
At first I wanted to go there but in the end afer talking to my friends, especially to Director of Career Office in NTU, I decided to go NUS.
THe director said that if I got offer from LSE, Imperial, Oxbridge then it would be different. Even he didn`t about the school.

May I get ur email??
dt

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 09:53:10 PM »

Hi hongzz_zu,

I think CASS is reputable.
It may not have the brand name like Oxbridge or LSE here but it is a reputable school.

I disagree with what the NTU CO director appears to have told you.These can be discuss over email if you wish.

More importantly, I hope that all your interactions has led you to a decision which you are confident about.

If there are any current or past NUS MSc QF students, would appreciate it if you could share your views about this course
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: